The Tier 4 General student visa category is for those international students who wish to study in the UK and have been offered a place on a course in the UK. Tier 4 General is a point-based category and points are awarded for Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and Funds for Maintenance.

You can apply for a Tier 4 General student visa to study in the UK if you are 16 or over and you are from a country that's not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. If you are outside the UK, you can apply for entry clearance as a Tier 4 General Student from your country of nationality by submitting an entry clearance application to the British Embassy or High Commission.

What are the requirements to apply for a UK Student visa?

In order to make a successful Tier 4 General student visa application, you must have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor and enough money to support yourself & pay for your course. The amount will vary depending on your circumstances. You must have proof you have the money, and that it's been in your bank account or your dependant's bank account for at least 28 days before you or they apply. You must prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply. It means that you need to prove that you can speak, read, write and understand English.

Child Student visa

The Tier 4 (Child) student category is for children coming to the UK to be educated between 4 and 17 years old. Children between 4 and 15 years old must be educated at independent fee-paying schools.

It is not possible for a Tier 4 (Child) student to study at a publicly funded school. Tier 4 (Child) students may only study at a publicly funded Further Education College which is able to charge for International Students, and then only once they are aged 16 or 17 years old.

Student Visitor visa (short-term study)

If you are an adult and you want to undertake a short course of study in the UK (such as a beginner's English Language course or a work-related training course), you might be able to come to the UK as a student visitor for a short-term study. If you want to study a longer course, or you want to work (including on a work placement) alongside your studies, you should apply under Tier 4 (General) of the points-based system.